Statistics on population
The BISA (Brussels Institute for Statistics en Analysis) compiles and produces a range of statistical data to give quantified insights into the population in the Brussels Region: total population, structure of population by age, sex or nationality, structure of households, movements of population etc.
The corresponding definitions and nomenclatures are given in the methodology.
Recent BISA publications on the population theme are also included below.
This is where you will also find BISA demographic projections.
Remark: Published data are the latest available; for more detailed figures or relating to other periods, please send your request using the form.
- Annual change (.xls) (FR) -(Total population, men, women)
- Age structure (.xls) (FR) -(Age group, life cycle, mean age)
- Nationalities (.xls) (FR) -(Belgium/EU/other, main nationalities, groups of nationalities, top 10 foreign nationalities)
- Households (.xls) (FR) -(Number of private and family households: size, type, composition and nationalities)
- Movement of the population (.xls) (FR) -(Movement of the population, migration and changes of nationality)
- Methodology (.pdf) (120K) (FR)
Focus n.3 (03/2014): Brussels’ Demographic Barometer 2013 (.pdf) (2419K)
- IBSA cahier n.1: Projections démographiques bruxelloises 2010-2020 (.pdf) (2536K)
- Dossier of the baromètre conjoncturel n.15 (01/2010):
Essor démographique et milieux d’accueil pour la petite enfance (.pdf) (3729K)
- Dossier of the baromètre conjoncturel n.13 (07/2009):
Les communes bruxelloises : structure par âge (.pdf) (181K)